Parippu Adai / Adai / Parippu dosa

              Whenever I prepare this I remember my big mom and my younger sister. When we were kids, big mom prepares this for evening tea time. My cousins and I chit chat and finish this in no time. My younger sister still complains my mom for not preparing this crispy like my big mom. When i replicated the recipe with my own changes my hubby did fall for this. You will love this for breakfast/tea time/dinner. You do not need any side dish for this adai. Though I grind it coarse, I don't prepare them thick because we love to eat this in dosa texture. My little one loves them too.




Ingredients:

Bengal gram - 2/3 cup + 1 tablespoon(for tempering)
Toor dal - 2/3 cup
Moong dal - 2/3 cup
Urad dal - 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon(for tempering)
Raw rice / Pacharisi - 2/3 cup
Onion - 1 cup(Roughly chopped)
Green chilli - 6 no's
Cumin seeds - 2 teaspoons(1(for grinding)+1(for tempering))
Ginger - 1/2 inch sized piece
Garlic - 6 pods
Mustard seeds - 2 teaspoon
Curry leaves - 10 to 20 leaves
Asafoetida - 1/2 teaspoon
Oil - 2 tablespoons
Salt - as needed

Method:
  • Wash and Soak Bengal gram, Toor dal, Moong dal, Urad dal, Raw rice together for 1 hour and grind them to coarse paste.


  • Grind them to raw paste (Onion,Green chilli,Garlic,Ginger,1 teaspoon of cumin seeds,salt).


  • Mix the dal batter with the ground onion paste(I ground them a bit early which turned raw onion colour to dark)



  • Heat oil and add mustard(let it splatter), 1 tablespoon of urad dal, 1 tablespoon of bengal gram, curry leaves and add the tempering to the batter with asafoetida.


  • This will be your batter consistency for thick adai. You can adjust water to make it to your required consistency.


  • Heat tawa, grease with oil and add a scoop of the batter, spread like dosa and let it roast on both sides.


  • Adai / Parippu adai / Parippu dosa is ready to serve.
Our Little one showing off her plate.

Am happy to send this recipe to :