Kappa Vazhatiyathu / Tapioca stir fry

               There was a time when I got bored with Kappa / Tapioca roots as they got piled up when cultivated by my grand parents at their home. As time passed and they grew old, they stopped growing these all of a sudden and then I realized the value of the small things... missing those days. Kappa Vazhatiyathu was like a compulsory snack during our Tea time in Kerala. Am so happy that I can get them here and snack them the same way my granny prepared for us. My hubby is so happy when I prepare this as its so filling when he is back from office :). Another traditional recipe that you will not want to miss from Kerala.



Ingredients:

To Boil Tapioca / Kappa:
Tapioca root / Kappa - 1 cup(diced)
Turmeric powder - 1/4 teaspoon
Salt - as needed

To Coarse grind:
Onion - 1/8 cup (chopped)
Garlic - 2 small pods
Green chilli - 1 no

To Temper:
Coconut oil - 1 tablespoon
Mustard seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Red chilli - 1 no
Curry leaves - 5 no's
Coconut - 1 tablespoon(grated, but i used frozen)

Method:
  • Pressure cook Tapioca root with salt, turmeric and water just to immerse the diced tapioca(I ran 3 whistles). strain and keep aside.

  • Roughly coarse grind Onion,Garlic,Green chilli.

  • Heat oil in a pan, splatter mustard seeds,add red chilli,curry leaves, ground mix and saute till they are golden brown.
  • Add the boiled tapioca root with salt(if needed), coconut and saute for 1 minute.

  • Kappa Vazhatiyathu is ready to serve with tea / coffee :)