Homemade Curd / Homemade Yogurt

         


               I was not happy about feeding my little one with packed curd. I tried different ways for preparing curd at home but always ended up with problems like greasy texture / milk curdling / not getting it set properly because of climate conditions here - ah i really had a tough time.




            Later one day in our phone conversation my mom told me that its not something magic its only the perfect temperature of milk while mixing the curd is important. I tried to prepare the same way i presented here, touch-wood its perfect every time then on.


Ingredients:

Milk - 6 cups (I used 2% milk)
Curd / Yogurt - 1/2 cup (in room temperature)


Method:
  • Boil the milk. Note that when the foam rises reduce the flame to low and allow to boil the milk for 5 minutes and then switch off stove.

  • Keep your curd outside to bring that to room temperature. let the milk sit in the same bowl and reduce its temperature to warm (it took me half-n-hour).

  • Take a plate and pour a table spoon of milk. immerse your little finger and feel the temperature. (remember that you should be able to handle the warmness of milk and that is the best temperature to mix curd).

  • Pour the milk in the right temperature to a air-tight container, add curd and mix well with a spoon for 2 minutes stirring in clock wise direction. Close the container.

  • Switch on the light in your conventional oven and place the container below the light(This helps in building heat inside). Close the oven and let it sit for 4 to 5 hours to set(I let it sit for the whole night). In places like india we can keep the curd just on the counter top near gas stove because of the naturally perfect temperature availability.

  • Remove the container and move to your refrigerator to set for 1 hour.

  • Your curd / Yogurt is ready to slice or scoop :)


Note:
  • I use 2% milk at home so have used the same here. I gave try with whole milk and skimmed milk too. I got the best results with both so its up to you to choose the type of milk.
  • Curd I used here is from the old stock of curd but it works with store curd because my first curd cycle started by using store curd only.
  • Its very important to add curd in room temperature.
  • If you can handle the milk heat when you immerse your finger immediately after pouring a spoon full to a plate, then it means its perfect temperature. I do not have food temperature checking machine to give you right temperature when the curd need to be added but I will update in later days.