Mushroom Chukka / Chukka Mushroom





             I am a big fan of Mushrooms. I buy a pack and oven roast them with salt and pepper and eat them for my Lunch / Dinner. The recipe here is from my Dad's friend. She makes them whenever I visit her but she uses soya chunks and I made some little changes by cutting down Garammasala and tomatoes and substituting soya chunks with Mushrooms. 




             I was a bit anxious on how it will taste in the end but trust me this is really the best I did with mushrooms. This recipe takes a bit of time as we need to dry the water and get everything to a drier state. 




           The boost-up taste for this chukka is only one pinch of a common ingredient in the end - Guess? Pepper! The whole recipe got a big turn when I added that last pinch of pepper. We had this with curd rice - oh yummy! 


Ingredients:

Button Mushroom - 16oz (450 grams)
Onion - 1 cup (Finely chopped)
Garlic pods - 5 no's (chopped)
Ginger garlic paste - 1 tablespoon
Chilli powder - 1-1/4 teaspoons
Coriander powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Pepper powder - 1/4 teaspoon
Turmeric powder - 1/4 teaspoon
Dry Red chilli - 2 no's
Fennel seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Bay leaf - 2 no's
Curry leaves - 6 no's(I used dry curry leaves)
Oil - 4 Tablespoon
Salt - as needed

Method:
  • Take a bowl and add 1 tablespoon of oil, chilli powder, coriander powder,  turmeric powder and mix together to form a paste. add chopped mushrooms and coat this paste completely.


  • Heat remaining oil in a pan and add Fennel seeds, Red chilli, Bay leaf and saute.


  • Add chopped garlic and saute to golden colour.


  • Add onion and saute to golden brown. add ginger garlic paste and saute until the raw smell goes off.


  • Add the mushrooms coated to this pan with required salt and let it cook (please do not sprinkle water as mushrooms tend to loose water by itself while getting cooked).


  • When the mushrooms oozes water add curry leaves and pepper powder.


  • Saute until it evaporates the water and becomes dry (Masala should get coated on mushrooms completely).


  • Switch off and serve them as side for any rice or roti.