Arisi - Parippu Sadam





              Who deserves the credit for this recipe? My good friend Pradheepa Chinnaraj(I need to write a post on her). She has a lot of authentic Tamil cuisine dishes in her recipe diary from her excellent cook guru - her mom(am gonna steal that book one day). This is again her mom's recipe with a little alteration by me - simple, adding vegetables. 


 
           We make a point to meet up every week and cook together and have our "Girls Time" with our kids. We have stories, suggestions, secrets, gossips and complaints to share. One fine day she told me about this rice and planned to cook for us and our kids - having kids in mind I suggested her about adding vegetables. We gave a try and we loved the version. I served this for my hubby's saturday lunch with Rajma Masala and he loved this too - so clicked and loaded to my blog post.


Ingredients:

Raw rice - 1-1/2 cups(i used sonamasoori rice)
Toor dal - 1/4 cup+1 tablespoon
Water - 3-2/3 cups
Carrot -  1/4 cup (chopped)
Peas - 1/2 cup
Onion - 1/4 cup (chopped)
Tomato - 1/8 cup (chopped)
Green chilli's - 2 no's
Salt - as needed

To Temper:
Oil - 3 tablespoons
Mustard seeds - 1 teaspoon
Curry leaves - 5 to 6 leaves
Dry Red chilli - 2 no's
Urad dal - 1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds - 1/4 teaspoon
Channa dal - 1 teaspoon


Method:
  • Wash until clear water runs out and soak rice and toor dal for 15 minutes.


  • Heat a pressure cooker and Temper the ingredients mentioned above in  "To temper" column.


  • Add onion, salt and saute to transparent colour.


  • Add tomatoes, vegetables and green chilli and saute to half cook.


  • Add rice and dal and toast them for 2 minutes.


  • Add water, check for salt and pressure cook for 3 to 4 whistles (or according to your rice cooking consistency).



  • After pressure is down open the cooker and mix well.


  • Serve hot with any curry or chutney. 


My Notes:
  • I used 1:2 ratio for rice and water. It might differ based on the rice used so please adjust accordingly.
  • Vegetables are totally optional. The actual recipe of my friend's mom is without vegetables only.