Oats Upma / Oats Upma Recipe

                


              I still remember the time about 7 years ago, my "American Granny" started showing off about diet, exercise and oats after her visit to the USA for the first time. The vibe started spreading slowly with people about its benefits and today Oats is in our regular menu. From an Indian kitchen to an English Restaurant we see Oats under the Breakfast banner. I fell for this "Oats mania" as well and I still wonder why I love it. My little one was once crazy about Oats porridge. She has stopped eating now but that shouldn't be credited against oats because she isn't eating anything much these days..!




                Oats upma is prepared in many ways. I use a similar method for making my Poha upma or Oats Upma. If you want to serve this for elderly people then I would suggest to cut down Peanuts and Coconut and for babies you can also try Almond-Oats Porridge powder. Oats are generally chewy so I love having them hot after preparation.





Ingredients:
Old Fashioned Oats - 1 cup (Quick oats is also fine)
Onion - 1 small sized
Peanuts/Groundnuts - 10 to 15 no's
Coconut - 2 tablespoon (Grated)
Green chilli - 1 no (small one)
Salt - as needed

To temper:
Olive oil - 1 tablespoon
Mustard seeds - 1/2 teaspoon
Red chilli - 1 no (Small one)
Urad dal - 1 teaspoon


Method:
  • Take a pan, heat oil and temper the ingredients given under "To temper" column.

  • Add Onion, Peanut, Green chilli, Salt and saute until onions are transparent.


  • Wash the oats just for a few seconds, drain the water and add that to tawa along with coconut. Stir well and cover it with a lid for 5 minutes on medium flame.(if quick oats is used then do not wash instead add direct and sprinkle needed water to cook)


  • Serve hot with a cup of Coffee/Tea.



Happy to link this recipe to "Cooking healthy in a hurry" event at Archana's Kitchen