Korma Chicken




             I always wondered how people have patience to read books - fiction, comics, thriller etc. I can never imagine myself completing a book, they are good sleeping medicines for me. My hubby goes to library for his books and I was only accompanying to make my daughter play in the children's place. Thanks to my blog because today I am reading books - yes cook books. Now I understand that books can be interesting too :).




              I got this book thinking it might contain some recipes for making wine at home but ended up in knowing more about which wine to pair with which food. This book had many recipes too. "Korma" is one such recipe I saw and I loved it. We can use Chicken, Lamb or Beef for this recipe. This is the first time am cooking chicken completely in yogurt. The recipe is interesting and I'm sure its worth trying. A mild curry with a spectrum of spices. You would get the best results if you soak chicken overnight. I had to make minor changes with curry powders and the usage of ghee. Thanks to the authors Patricia Guy and Edwin Soon for their lovely book "Wine with Asian Food". By the way, they had paired this recipe with the red wine "Merlot".


Ingredients:

For Marination:
Chicken - 1lb or 500 grams (cut to required size)
Homemade curd / Yogurt - 1-1/2 cups
Ginger garlic paste - 1-1/2 teaspoons
Cinnamon powder - 1/2 teaspoon
Cardamons - 2 no's (crushed)
Cloves - 4 no's (Crushed)
Oil - 1 tablespoon
Salt - 1/2 teaspoon

For Curry:
Onion - 1-1/2 cups(chopped finely)
Garlic - 1 tablespoon (chopped finely)
Turmeric powder - 2 teaspoons
Coriander powder - 1-1/2 tablespoons
Oil - 2 tablespoons
Ghee - 1 teaspoon
Garam masala - 1 teaspoon
Cilantro - Half-hand full finely chopped

Method:

For Marination:
  • In a bowl add a tablespoon of oil, ginger garlic paste and mix well. Add chicken to it and brush the ginger mixture all over chicken.


  • In another bowl mix curd with Cinnamon powder, Cardamons, Cloves, Salt and add the chicken. Stir well to coat, cover it and refrigerate overnight.



    For Curry:
    • Heat oil in a pan, add garlic, saute. Add onion and saute to golden brown.


    • Add turmeric and coriander powder and saute for a minute.


    • Add soaked chicken and the curd mixture. Cover and cook until chicken is tender cooked.


    • Check for salt. Add garam masala and cilantro, stir and switch off.


    • Serve with rice or roti.