Pinto Beans (Pinto Fasulyesi)



























I spent my first year in the States trying to find Barbunya beans. Until I figured out that barbunyas are roman or borlotti beans, I experimented with almost all kinds of beans. The tastiest beans I decided were pintos. I cook pinto beans Turkish style with onions, garlic, and paste. You can eat them either warm or cold, but definitely try them with rice.

24 oz can organic pinto beans
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, sliced
2 banana peppers, sliced
1 carrot, diced
2 tbsp pepper or tomato paste
2 tomatoes, petite diced or grated
1 cup water
salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp crushed pepper
1/3 cup or more finely chopped flat leaf parsley


























-Heat oil in a broad pot. Saute onion, garlic, banana pepper, and carrots for 5-10 minutes.
-Add the paste and stir for 1-2 minutes.
-Add tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes.
-Add pintos, spices, and water. Simmer on medium for 20-25 minutes.
-Stir in parsley after you turn int off.
-Serve with fresh bread or any kind of rice.